Along with working perfectly well in chicken and meat marinades and seasoning for vegetables, Sumac is often sprinkled with love on top of the most Israeli dish ever - HUMMUS!
Here we have prepared a special Israeli chicken dish in which the color and flavor of the wonderful Sumac spice is the star!
In many Israeli households, chicken and meat are usually the main meal of the day, served at lunchtime, which this Sumac chicken is perfect for. It can also be served on Friday nights, where instead of the traditional roast chicken, you can wow your guests with this delicious roasted Sumac chicken!
- Chicken Thighs - 2 pounds (breast is fine just be aware it cooks quicker and won’t be as juicy!)
- Olive Oil - 4 tbsp
- Sumac - 1 1⁄2 tbsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves minced or crushed
- Cumin - 1⁄2 tsp
- Allspice - 1⁄2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon - 1⁄4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - to taste
- Lemon Juice - 4 tbsp
- 1 Red Onion - sliced
- Pine Nuts - 2 tbsp
- In a bowl, pour in the lemon juice; 3 tablespoons of the oil; sumac; crushed garlic, cumin, allspice, and cinnamon. Mix it well and then add the chicken pieces to the bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and give it a good mix, ensuring the chicken pieces are well coated in the sumac marinade.
- Add the red onion slices on top and place the bowl in the fridge, well sealed, to marinate. Anywhere from an hour or more is good, but for extra flavor leave to marinate overnight.
- Prepare a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 37’F. Carefully pour the chicken and onion mixture onto the sheet and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until the chicken has cooked through.
- Once ready, toast the pine nuts with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and set aside.
- Arrange the chicken in the center of a warm platter and garnish with pine nuts, sumac, and chopped parsley.
Sumac is a spice that enhances every dish, so feel free to sprinkle it generously over all your side dishes, and salads, and even onto your plate to bring out more flavor from your wonderfully cooked Sumac chicken! We are so sure that you are going to love this dish, that you will make time and time again!
At Lev Haolam, we are crazy about Israeli food and cooking. We work with hundreds of producers, many of whom are experts in the food and farming industry. They produce and work with the finest and freshest ingredients and know how to blend them all together to make some of the most delicious dishes you could ever dream of. Stay tuned for more Israeli recipes from the Holy Land!